Kamal Vijhani At the mall road of Shimla prominently… Domino’s, CCD and Sagar Ratna then good old famous Gufaa Restaurant, tried and tested Indian Coffee House for South Indian and Continental Snacks, Gupta ji’s Vaishno Bhojnalya near Gaiety Theatre, near Timber Market Delhi’s famous Sita Ram Bhatoore wala is also there…. There are 2-3 Bakeries too Krishna near Domino’s and Devicos near Telephone Exchange. Have Fun.
Shashank Shekhar Have breqkfast in Chail palace…it offers gud food and served with class
Also make sure you are visiting that river where u can sit brtween water and have food..i am not rememberingname of place but its qyite famous. It is about 30 mins drive from Chail central. Any taxi vala will take you there.Sekhar Banerjee Sadhupul is the name of the spot, it is on the way to Chail via KandaghatKamal Vijhani Don’t miss to have your refreshments/lunch/dinner or breakfast on the way to Shimla or back home at Giani da Dhaba, Dharampur on Solan-Shimla Road.
Food is impeccable…!!! Even celebs vouch for their food. There can be a huge waiting on weekends here. It also has famous Haveli restaurant bang opposite it.Sekhar Banerjee The water at Sadhupul is flowing water, it is cleaner in the day but advisable to be avoided after 5 pm
Sumit Bahl Trishool bakery for pastries (spoonie is awesome) and baljees for gulab jamun and veg food at mall road shimla.
Good Italian food at Cafe sol, combermere. Again at mall road shimla.
Jaskaran Singh Try kurkej! It sounds like a non vegie dish but its an amazing veg snack! Ask anyone on the lower market road about it! Thodi fight maarni padegi to locate the shop as i dont remember the name! But its on the lower market road for sure’
Gunjan MahaniKukrejii…:)i got it jaskaran..yes it’s right there at mall road and shope name is Krishna Baker:)
Komal Kaur Yeh puchne ki zarurat bhi ni.. Wo jo mall se stairs niche ja ri hai. Waha corner pe samne and right mrin 2 shops hai.. Ek.mote se uncle waha paranthe banate hai along with other delicacy.. Enjoy there.. Explore yourself
hawna SapkaareJust saw the post – Go for hide out cafe its at mall road its just amazing
- Indian Coffee House : Seems like cooperative restaurant chain’s outlet is one of the most popular joints in Shimla and like every where else in India they would have their standard menu and standard style as well. Mutton Dosa, Cutlets, Coffee etc – almost everything is very reasonably priced and food can range from average to bad – however I am sure Shimla’s weather does the trick and people end up enjoying one of its kind food that you get there.
- Giani Da Dhaba, Dharampur : This is not exactly Shimla however it is a super popular Dhaba on the way to Shimla. Have had pleasure of having several meals here – Butter Chicken, Lemon Chicken, Egg Bhurjee etc – honestly speaking not extraordinary stuff, however hot, decent & fresh food which does the trick when you are hungry. If you have not tried it before then do give it a shot, even if it is just to tick of the place for your list.
- Wake and Bake Cafe : A new entrant to the scene, this is a beautiful and cozy café located right outside Townhall. You can take the window seat, read a book while having a look at life go by on the iconic Mall road of Shimla. They do serve decent food and the coffee is served from imported machines making it at par with any modern coffee shop. Just a bit cuter.
- Momos on mall : There are several vendors on the mall road, some of them do get mentions in comments above. My 2 cents say that you can try almost any of them as long as you see other people eating there. The whole weather and ambiance of mall would make sure that they would taste good.
- Gulab Jamuns at Baljees and Kukrej : Though have not tried either personally, however these two items are not on top of my list. Gulab Jamuns because they are Gulab Jamuns and Kukrej because its something that I have not heard or tried before. Which also makes me think that not many of you would have heard or tried this item. Its getting recommended by other food lovers, so must be taken for a spin.
Other notable mentions : Chhole Bhature from Sita Ram near Church – have never had them, don’t think the Super famous Sita Ram Dewan Chand of Delhi has anything to do with this guy in Shimla, however few people have recommended it so you might want to try them. Also Bun or kulcha Chhole do not get a mention here – it is an item you will get on the roads leading to Shimla, they have a unique style and taste, something tourists appreciate and has their own fan following. Another item I remember enjoying was Vegetable Pakodas you get in the lower bazaar. Shimla weather and pakode are made for each other, do take them for a spin.
This is no way is a comprehensive list, and we are keen to hear from you – Please do share your food recommendations for Shimla for benefit of fellow food lovers.